Monday, August 5, 2013

Schematic and DesignSpark review


After getting the breadboard version of pennybot working it was time to draw up the schematic.  I first roughed it out on paper and then looked at what software to draw it up properly.  Normally I would use TinyCad as I had for my previous designs.  However I had in mind that I might want to have a professional pcb made up so I needed something with the functionality to generate the gerber files, drill plots, etc.

RS Components now have free schematic and pcb layout software package called DesignSpark.  Currently it runs only on Windows.  What is great about the software is the very extensive parts library and the option to link directly into RS Component's online store and search for parts, then download the schematic diagram and pcb layout information of that part.  Note that not all the components in RS components store are currently have this setup.  Free to use but you need to register to save your files.

Designspark comes with a nice tutorial which covers the process of schematic design, creating a pcb from that schematic and finally generating a BOM, gerber files, design reports, etc.  All in all very nice.  The best feature for me was the ease of generating a pcb and being able to generate a 3D view all in the one tool.

So final opinion?  I think I will keep trying out Designspark and use it for all my schematics going forward.  I'm sure the part library will only grow over time and the pcb layout functionality is very nice.

While originally keen to have a pcb made the cost has put me off.  The usual American offerings (expresspcb) are out due to postage costs.  There are local options (iTead for example) but for a one off board I'm still looking at the $80+ mark.  Point to point soldering here I come... once I work out the board layout.

No comments: