Saturday, June 14, 2008

Crabbot


Crabbot

Crabbot is based on the same design as Rodbot. He was made for my six year old nephew who thought that robots were the coolest thing around and wanted one himself. So I wanted to make a simple and robust robot for him that could survive being handled by someone of that age. This meant no exposed componets and a solid body to survive a six year old grabbing it in a fit of exitement.

The LM386 chip was glued onto the body and a power switch was added to the front. All the wiring was kept as tight and clean as possible and I used heat shrink wrap to avoid any chance of little fingers touching bare wires. Finally I used a lid from a small gift box as the shell (hence the name Crabbot) to protect everything and to give my nephew something to grab hold of.


Crabbot exposed

The herbie design was great as the light tracking is simple and can be made more fun for a six year old by giving them a torch to "lead" the robot. I decided not to do the reverse sensor as the bump switch had a fair chance of being damaged.

The body used is a kit I purchased some time previously for use with Squareabout. However the interference from the engines to the rest of the circuit was so great I didn't use it. There are two 4.5V motors that drive three wheels each. The kit also came with legs that could be used instead of the wheels. I went with the wheels as they would work better on carpet.


Crabbot belly

No comments: